Kids are naturally afraid of the dentist – it can be an unfamiliar place with strange noises and machines! At Studio Dental of River Park, we understand the fears and anxieties kids face when coming to the dentist, which is why our office was designed to incorporate a child-friendly atmosphere! We provide a play area complete with iPads, as well as TVs for them to watch during their appointment. Our TVs come equipped with noise-canceling headphones, so your child can have a relaxing experience and get excited about their visits.
Our pediatric services
At Studio Dental of River Park, we provide dental services for the whole family, and offer a comprehensive dental care program for children of all ages! Some of our pediatric services include:
- First dental home visits so your young one can get acquainted with the dentist for the very first time! This consultation serves to give your child a sense of familiarity with the dentist, so they won’t be frightened for their future in-office visits.
- Comprehensive exams to ensure that your child’s oral health is in tip-top condition!
- Pain-free dental cleanings to preserve oral hygiene.
- White composite fillings for cavities, to prevent harm to the teeth or gums.
- Dental sealants to protect delicate teeth from decay.
- Fluoride varnishes to strengthen teeth and prevent decay or damage.
- Oral hygiene education with Rex, our pet dinosaur! Rex has a full set of teeth that kids can practice brushing techniques on and develop the proper skills to take care of their own teeth!
Building healthy habits: early dental care for parents
Being a parent comes with plenty of struggles and unexpected circumstances, but it’s those bonding experiences and first moments that make it worth all the effort. We’ve compiled a list of tips for parents to teach their kids about dental health so that you can instill early healthy habits in your child!
- Brush your child’s teeth three to four times daily!
Until they can do it themselves, make sure to brush your child’s teeth after every big meal and at bedtime. When brushing a young child’s teeth, use a soft-bristled brush and pea-sized dab of toothpaste. We recommend Tom’s of Maine Children’s fluoride-free toothpaste for toddlers (children ages 1-3). As for children that are 2 and up, we recommend Tom’s of Maine Children’s toothpaste with fluoride. This brand is safe if accidentally ingested and contains all-natural ingredients!
- Floss, floss, floss!
As soon as your child has two teeth that are touching, you can start flossing their teeth. Flossing removes the gingivitis-causing food deposits that get caught between the base of the tooth and gums. Brushing alone can’t reach these spots, so optimize your child’s oral health and remember to floss!
- Look into tooth sealants!
Sometimes it’s hard to brush and floss your little one’s back molars. For times like these, we recommend sealants! Sealants are one of our favorite proactive and painless procedures that helps to keep kids cavity free for years to come. When applied, sealants are long-lasting and are very effective at protecting hard-to-reach tooth surfaces. Many studies show that sealants greatly reduce cavities in young children.
- Schedule dental visits!
The AAPD recommends pediatric dental exams and cleanings every 6 months to ensure a happier, healthier smile for your child. Oral health is critical at an early age, and setting a trend of routine dentist visits is a great way for your child to live their entire life with healthy teeth and gums!